GRANDVILLE, Mich.––All the trick-or-treaters will be out in force this Halloween! At RiverTown Honda, our number one priority is your safety, which goes well beyond driving your Honda. Follow these Halloween safety tips to make sure everyone gets home safe (and with tons of candy!).
If You're Walking...
- Before heading out, instruct your children to always wait to cross the street with you or another adult. Additionally, always use the designated crosswalks and observe the traffic signals.
- Try attaching reflective tape to your child's costume. Or, give them a flashlight or glow sticks to carry, making them more visible to cars.
- Be wary of oversized costumes. It will be dark out and your child may trip on their costume if it's too big and baggy.
- Be careful with masks, as they often obstruct vision. See if you can convince your child to use face paint instead!
- Also as a general rule, children under the age of 12 should not be unsupervised.
If You're Driving...
- Watch for vehicles in front of you. Cars will be stopping intermittently in the street to drop kids off at houses or pick them up. Also be cautious of passing a stopped vehicle as kids may be exiting abruptly and not in your line of sight.
- In general, we recommend driving 5 mph below the speed limit in neighborhoods.
- Make sure to use turn signals to communicate your intentions to other drivers. It will make navigating a busy neighborhood much easier for everyone.
- Put down the phone! You should never text and drive, but on Halloween night you especially need to avoid distracting yourself.
- Watch for kids running in to the road. Young, candy crazed kids may be running around and accidentally run into the street. They also may be standing by or on the curb, or in medians. So best to be cautious.
- Even before sunset, turn on your headlights. It will help illuminate the street and sidewalks.
- Give the right of way to groups of trick-or-treaters at intersections and cross walks.
So please, be safe this Halloween and make sure everyone can enjoy their candy and trick-or-treating by observing our Halloween safety tips. They will help to keep the night spooky and safe! Also, before the weather gets colder, we highly recommend following our Fall Car Care routine to get your car ready for the harsh weather to come. It will not only help keep you safe, but extend the life of your vehicle. Make an appointment today at our RiverTown Honda Service Center.